By Robert Zucker
The first mining district set up in the Santa Catalinas from early wildcat claims became known as the Old Hat mining district.
"In the late 1870's and early 1880's
many locations were made in the Old Hat Mining District so called
because an old hat was found on the discovery location in the area.4
This original location, also known as Old Hat, was made by Louie Depew
and W. E. Guild in 1878. Although in an early day it was described as
the most promising mine of the district, it never was developed beyond
the prospect stage. Of the hundreds of claims that were recorded in this
district during the first few years of its existence, only a few were
sufficiently developed to deserve mention. The American Flag Mine was
the first on which extensive work was done. It was located in the late
1870's by Issac Lorrine, a Frenchman. By 1880 there were enough people
at the mine to warrant a post office, December 28th of that year the
office was opened under the name American Flag with Peter H. Loss as the
first postmaster. By 1881 there were forty men working in the mine for
the Richardson Mining Company of New York which had purchased the
property early in that year. 10 After that time little more was heard of
the mine. The man who opened it became discouraged and started a cattle
"Mrs. Lalie C.Dodge, Letter to Dr. Frank
Lockwood of Tucson, San Francisco, California , Sep. 23, 1919; Arizona
Blade and the Florence Tribune, Florence,Arizona, Nov. 14, 1903. This
paper tells a different story which does not seem very probable. It
states that there were a number of "tar heels" from North Carolina
settling in this area. They all wore large white hats which soon became
very old; thus the district became known as Old Hat." 1
1. The History of the Lower San Pedro Valley in Arizona by
Bernard W. Muffley, 1938. A Thesis submitted to the faculty of the
Departmentof History in partial fulfillment of the requirem ents
forthedegreeof Master of Arts in the Graduate College University of
Arizona, p. 24-25 uair.arizona.edu/system/files/usain/.../azu_e9791_1938_41_w.pdf
© 2011 AZentertain.com. All rights reserved. Entertainment Magazine network. BZB Publishing, Inc.
This information is found in the comprehensive book on the legends and history of the Catalina Mountains– "Treasures of the Santa Catalina Mountains." Read more pages and download a free PDF sample of the book.
Old Hat Mining District Index
Campo Bonito, Arizona
is one of the major mining areas in the Old Hat mining district. Most
of these mines were owned at one time by Buffalo Bill Cody.
The Southern Belle Mine
One of the mines in Campo Bonito owned by Cody, near Campo Bonito is the Southern Belle gold mine.
Return to Index: Arizona Gold Rush
Photo: The Camp Bonito remains of the fireplace at the mess hall, near the old Cody-Dwyer mine south of Oracle in the Catalina Mountains. Photo by Robert Zucker. © BZB 2010.